- Audiovisual Materials -- compact discs and audiocassettes of classical and popular music, language instruction; books on tape including mysteries, best sellers, motivational as well as educational; videocassettes of popular feature films, classics, instructional and educational subjects.
- Reserves -- Hempstead residents may reserve Hempstead books that are currently not in the library.
- Interlibrary Loan -- materials that are unavailable in our library can be borrowed from other libraries on interlibrary loan.
- Direct Access -- patrons may borrow books directly from any library in Nassau County when their library card is properly validated.
- Public Access Computers -- are available with popular word processing and spreadsheet software for patrons with a properly validated card.
- Foreign language books for adults and children in more than 20 languages.
The Children's Department serves children through 8th grade. In addition to a large book and audiovisual collection and children's computers, programs and workshops are offered on a regular basis.
- Picture Book Time
- Toddler Time
- Book Buddies
- Pajama Times
Young Adult Department
The Young Adult Department serves young adults from 6th through 12th grades. In addition to a large book collection, there are numerous reference materials as well as online databases. Programs are provided, as well as volunteer opportunities. The Teen Advisory Group (TAG) provides the youth with the opportunity of being involved in the direction of the department.
Job Information Center
The Job Information Center provides career and education information. Books, workshops, and computerized programs to help with career and educational planning are available. Free career counseling and job announcements are also provided.
Adult Learning Center
The Adult Learning Center is a multimedia resource center offering computer-assisted and audiovisual instruction to adults who wish to learn English or improve their reading, grammar, vocabulary, writing, or math skills.